Mission of the Fordham Theology Department
Our mission is to advance the critical and constructive study of the ideas, symbols, narratives, beliefs, and practices of religious traditions, with particular attention to the rich diversity of Catholic Christian theology. In the tradition of Jesuit education, we promote the informed exploration of faith and justice from ecumenical, interreligious, and global perspectives. We aspire to do so in an imaginative, interdisciplinary manner that values the important contributions of the humanities, arts, and sciences. We seek to foster theological study and dialogue for the academy, for ecclesial communities, and for the public sphere. Professors and students collaborate to cultivate an environment for undergraduate and graduate studies that prizes academic excellence, lively theological inquiry, and care for students’ intellectual and personal growth, with a view to the implications of learning for living.
Founded as St. John’s College by Bishop John Hughes, Fordham opened in 1841 to serve the immigrant Church of New York. At the invitation of Bishop Hughes, the Society of Jesus (the Jesuits) assumed responsibility for the College in 1846. In 1907 the institution achieved university status. Its name was officially changed to Fordham University. During the 20th century, the University grew to encompass eleven schools, with campuses in the Bronx, Manhattan and Westchester County.