The Institute for Spirituality and Social Justice of Xavier University enables students to draw upon the resources of the world’s religious traditions (especially the Catholic/Ignatian traditions) to foster personal and social renewal, a deeper theological imagination, ethical analysis, and effective action for the creation of a more just and ecologically sustainable world.
Our graduate theology program prepares students for a variety of vocations and career options, such as teaching, chaplaincy, youth ministry, nonprofit work, and other forms of social/pastoral ministry. Students can also enroll to prepare for future doctoral studies or simply to deepen their theological, ethical, and spiritual growth. Classes are available in a variety of formats, including in-person and synchronous online options, evenings, weekends, and some condensed 8-week and 2-week classes.
Highlights of the ISSJ:
- Graduate Master of Arts (MA) in Theology with concentrations in: General Theological Studies; Ethics, Spirituality and Professional Practice (ESPP); Solidarity and Sustainability in a Global Context (SSGC); Applied Spirituality and Pastoral Care (ASPC)
- 3-Course Certificate Programs in Biblical Studies, Pastoral Care, Ethics, and Spirituality
- Synchronous Online Graduate Student Option
- Generous financial aid and tuition reduction for Catholic school educators, volunteers, non-profit employees, and social/pastoral ministers
- Explore our open-access archive of past programs and events