The Sisters of Saint Joseph, Brentwood, NY, seek a qualified and experienced, Director
of Spiritual Care, immersed in the Catholic faith and its liturgical and religious traditions,
who would welcome the opportunity to provide spiritual care for senior religious Sisters,
in a living with assistance residential setting which houses a maximum of 20 Sisters.
This is a 20 hour a week, part-time position. The provider of spiritual care works
collaboratively with the Director of Health Care, the Social Worker, and the Community
Life Coordinator to ensure that the Sisters’ spiritual needs are met. The position is
located in Queens, N.Y. The Director of Spiritual Care reports to: The Administrator.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities
1. Develop a program of spiritual care in line with the mission, and identity of the Sisters of St. Joseph.
2. Organize frequent opportunities for worship (Mass, sacraments, prayer, rosary, meditation, as well as arranging for retreats and conferences.)
3. Implement a comprehensive grief management program, in concert with the healthcare team’s continuum of care.
4. Design, implement, and assess programs across the continuum of care to address the Sisters’ spiritual needs.
5. Work with Sisters who request spiritual care on a one-to-one basis.
6. Facilitate support groups and prayerful reflection in support of life/health crises and empower Sisters, families, and employees to access resources for healing.
7. Ensure documentation of spiritual assessments, interventions, and spiritual care plans.
8. Performs other duties as needed.
Minimum five years of experience providing spiritual care within a health care setting, preferably with a geriatric population or similar experience outside of a health care setting.
Familiarity with Catholic religious women.
Board Certified Chaplains preferred, or someone working towards certification and in good standing with the National Association of Catholic Chaplains.
Continued active membership in certifying association with the National Association of Catholic Chaplains.
Proficient in MS WORD, Adobe, Publisher
Applications for this position are due on or before October 1, 2021
Please send cover letter and resume to: [email protected]