What is theology? Most scholars define it as the study of the nature of the divine and religious belief itself.
Unlike most universities, our program combines two distinctive approaches to the academic study of religion: theology and religious studies. In other words, our curriculum offers the best of both worlds. Get ready to be engaged in questions of meaning, faith, justice, power, community, authority, values, spirituality and difference through a global lens.
The Rockhurst University Department of Theology and Religious Studies faculty includes both theologians and religious studies scholars. Professors are committed to offering you an entryway to cultivating your own religious views. They also provide opportunities for you to gain proficiency in analyzing religious institutions, texts and structures of authority from a variety of theoretical approaches.
Graduates with a theology & religious studies major will:
- Evaluate texts according to historical context and theological significance, and/or literary criticism where appropriate
- Apply methods of theological inquiry and/or religious studies to a text or set of practices in order to analyze them
- Identify and critically analyze four religious beliefs and associated practices
As a student pursuing a degree in theology and religious studies, you will:
- Engage the ideas and practices of diverse religious traditions, including Christianity, and become deeply familiar with their social and historical contexts
- Explore and critically evaluate a range of expressions of faith
- Learn to apply methods of multiple human sciences to make sense of the thought and behavior associated with a diverse range of religious traditions
With this degree, students gain the vital skills of a liberal arts education, including reflection, research, creativity, public speaking and beyond. In addition to graduate school, many students go on to work in a variety of professions, such as:
- Marriage and family therapists
- High school teachers
- Fundraising directors
- Physical therapists
- College professors and more
Rockhurst University (founded in 1910) is a comprehensive university and a supportive community that forms lifelong learners in the Catholic, Jesuit, liberal arts tradition who engage with the complexities of our world and serve others as compassionate, thoughtful leaders. Our vision is to create a more just world through inclusive, innovative and transformative education.