ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION:
Mary's Meals is a nonprofit organization, formerly known as Scottish International Relief (SIR), whose mission is to enable people to offer their money, goods, skills, time, or prayer, in order to provide the most effective help to those suffering the effects of extreme poverty in the world's poorest communities. Founded in 2002, Mary's Meals began as a grassroots operation reaching 200 children in Malawi, and has since grown into a worldwide movement, providing free school meals in hundreds of schools and feeding more than one million children daily. Mary's Meals has registered affiliate organizations in 13 countries, including Mary's Meals USA which raises donations and awareness of Mary's Meals work.
Mary's Meals is a simple idea that works - by providing a daily meal in a place of education, chronically poor children are attracted to the classroom where they can gain a basic education that provides an escape route from poverty. Another core tenant of Mary's Meals is empowering and engaging communities to own and run their own school feeding programs. In Malawi alone, Mary's Meals has over 80,000 community volunteers preparing and delivering meals to children.
Mary's Meals envisions a world in which every child receives one daily meal in their place of education and all those who have more than they need, share with those who lack even the most basic things.
For more information, please visit Mary's Meals website: https://www.marysmealsusa.org/
ABOUT THE POSITION:
Mary's Meals USA (MMUSA) is one of the global organization's largest affiliates and contributes approximately 20% of the global organization's overall fundraising. The Executive Director - USA will grow and lead a domestic movement to inspire people to work together to reduce chronic hunger. Working closely with a US-based full time staff (e.g., fundraising, communications and operations) along with a robust cadre of grassroots supporters and in partnership with Mary's Meals International, the Executive Director will foster growth in Mary's Meals US supporter base while ensuring the US movement is aligned with the global organization's values, strategic objectives and financial goals.
Reporting to the US-based Board of Directors and with a direct line to the Global CEO, The Executive Director - USA will lead the overall growth and success of MMUSA. This is an ideal opportunity for a mission-driven leader who excels at motivating others to take action.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Strategy Development and Organizational Leadership
• Work with Mary's Meals CEO and the US Board to develop and implement a sustainable growth strategy, one that ensures that Mary's Meals can continue to provide high-quality school based meals in a financially sustainable way
• Collaborate with leaders from Mary's Meals International (MMI) to ensure close alignment across the network
• Create annual and multi-year operating plans to ensure the organization builds upon its broad base of support, enabling ongoing movement building and growth
• Recruit, lead, develop, and retain a talented and dispersed US-based team (comprised of both full time staff and volunteer supporters)
• Build and maintain an organizational culture of collaboration, humility and innovation
• Oversee the implementation of human resource policies, procedures and practices that fit with the Mary's Meals global model
• Partner with Head of Finance and Operations to develop and manage the annual budget
• Make sound financial decisions, adjusting course as needed, in order to protect the organization's assets and ensure financial and charitable statutory and regulatory compliance
Movement Building and External Affairs
• Build and lead a US-based grassroots movement aligned to MMI's values and approach, largely through the conceptualization and implementation of awareness and fundraising campaigns across the US
• Forge new and nurture existing partnerships with US-based churches and church networks (e.g., parishes, schools, community groups etc.) in the name of further expanding MMUSA's movement
• Develop and maintain strategic partnerships within the Mary's Meals global movement
• Design and deliver US-based fundraising strategies in order to sustain and grow MMUSA's annual revenue of approximately $6M
• Serve as the primary liaison to MMUSA Board of Directors and, in partnership with the Fundraising Committee, facilitate board involvement in fundraising
• Work with the Board Chair in managing board recruitment and ongoing board development
• Develop and oversee relationships with donors, grant-giving bodies and government agencies
• Design and maintain donor management / CRM systems and processes
Organization Visibility and Communications
• Partner with the MMI communications team to develop and implement Mary's Meals USA communications and media strategy
• Serve as a credible and compelling spokesperson for Mary's Meals USA
• Ensure effective and regular communication with all supporters
• Develop and implement an internal communications strategy for MMUSA staff, linked with MMI's internal communications strategy for global staff and affiliates
• Ensure the Board receives accurate and timely information to fulfill their governance role, including but not limited to regular reports on the revenues and expenditure of the organization
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
• A minimum of 7-10 years experience working in a high-performing nonprofit organization and a deep commitment to respectfully providing for communities and children in need
• Significant senior management experience in a growing organization, with evidence of effectively leading teams through periods of change and transition
• Experience in revenue generation or fundraising, ideally through grassroots models
• Strong interpersonal skills, with solid track record in persuading and influencing others and demonstrated success developing and nurturing collaborative relationships at all levels
• Experience managing key relationships (e.g., donors, senior stakeholders, key partners, etc.) across a range of geographies and backgrounds
• Engaging and inspiring written and verbal communication skills; excellent presentation and public speaking skills
• Excellent strategic thinking, with the ability to analyze, interpret and use data to plan for the future as well as execute, monitor and report on agreed upon strategy
• Ability to straddle strategy and execution; willingness to roll up one's sleeves and do whatever it takes to get the job done
• Strong leadership and management skills and ability to negotiate, consult and influence at a strategic level
• Team management experience, including leading, coaching, engaging and motivating a team of staff and volunteers
• Ability to engage in international travel approximately 2-3 times annually
• Alignment with Mary's Meals' 7S competency model: Self, Service, Simplicity, Stewardship, Strategy, Strengthen, Success
• Bachelor's degree required
Flexible Location; ability to travel domestically and internationally required
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Driven by the ambitious vision of feeding and educating all children around the globe and their deep commitment to service, Mary's Meals seeks to ensure as much money as possible goes directly towards feeding children. For this reason, they have established compensation bands across their organization. The Executive Director - USA salary will be capped at $100K.
QUALIFIED INDIVIDUALS, PLEASE APPLY:
Mary's Meals is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes candidates from diverse backgrounds.
About the Employer
Mary's Meals is a global movement supported by people from many walks of life and different backgrounds.
Our mission is to enable people to offer their money, goods, skills, time, or prayer, and through this involvement, provide the most effective help to those suffering the effects of extreme poverty in the world's poorest communities.