Position: Manager of Events and Alumni Relations
Supervisor: Director of Development
Hiring Administrator: Director of Development
Catholic Theological Union (CTU) seeks a team player to join advancement efforts for a leading graduate school of theology and ministry in the Hyde Park neighborhood of Chicago. The Manager of Events and Alumni Relations is responsible for the hospitality planning and implementation of events at CTU as well as the program and projects that engage alumni with CTU.
Under the direction of the Director of Development, the Manager of Events and Alumni Relations will function as a key member of the Advancement team. The receptionist is a direct report to the Manager of Events and Alumni Relations.
Key areas of responsibility:
Event and Hospitality Management
• Oversee the Receptionist and the front desk functions and scheduling.
• Coordinate and execute all internal and external events, which includes scheduling, catering, guest housing, staffing and parking.
• Maintain client relationships to ensure effective, efficient, positive experiences to CTU constituents.
• Collaborate with Marketing with updates of events on the CTU’s website and lobby display signs, and/or email announcements and to promote CTU’s rental spaces.
• Serve as system administrator for the Events Management System (EMS). Utilize EMS to maintain a current and future calendar of all events within CTU.
• Develop a workflow documenting the requirements of the event including proposals, contracts, invoicing, payments, required insurance, and evaluations.
• Develop and update policies and proposed pricing relating to events and communicate to Leadership Council, Staff and Faculty, as necessary.
• Manage purchasing of all catering related needs, including food products and catering supplies, including the coffee area and vending machines.
• Serve as on-site point of contact for all public and external events.
• Arrange for additional guest housing for external events in the Hyde Park area as needed.
This person will help create and execute an effective engagement and communication strategy with the purpose of connecting CTU and its alumni in a variety of ways including through events, career networking, website interactions, social media platforms, enewsletters and other digital communication outlets.
• Develop annual alumni programs and events (in-person and virtual), including but not limited to, annual reunion/retreat, service project, speakers, local social gatherings.
• Coordinate and collaborate with an Alumni Advisory group designed to strengthen ties between CTU and its alumni all over the world. The advisory board provides advice and counsel to the Advancement team.
• Develop and manage content for the quarterly Alumni enewsletter.
• Work with CTU’s library staff to maintain and promote alumni access to library resources.
• Spearhead locating and gathering contact and ministry information for alumni using social media, surveys, correspondence, website interactions, postal returns, events and other engagement opportunities.
• Work with CTU’s development department to develop and promote appeals and events.
• Maintain budget and manage logistics and communications for alumni activities.
• Work collaboratively with other CTU departments on joint initiatives including Commencement, enrollment events, career services and other departments as required.
• Collaborate with the Development Director on the annual Alumni Day of Giving.
• Monitor CTU’s alumni website and suggest regular content updates.
· A Bachelor’s degree, experience in fundraising, alumni relations, volunteer management or a combination of the same.
· Excellent writing, decision-making, and problem solving.
· Experience in event planning, public speaking, and fostering good relationships with volunteers.
· Familiarity with Catholic Church issues and trends; and demonstrated ability to work and thrive within its culture.
· Demonstrated intercultural and interreligious competency and experience working across cultures.
· Active understanding of CTU’s faculty, students, constituents, programs and mission.
· Excellent communications and interpersonal skills, together with the ability to work collaboratively and courteously with colleagues throughout CTU, alumni, other constituencies and the public.
· Flexibility and initiative, as well as the ability to work independently.
· Ability to move quickly from one task to another within a given workday.
· Attention to detail and able to prioritize tasks to meet deadlines.
· Experience with CRM, eTapestry preferred, or a similar constituent database.
· Experience in Higher Education or ministry setting preferred
· Magnanimous spirit and welcoming personality
· Accomplished computer skills in word processing, spreadsheets, and databases with propensity to expand one’s capabilities
· Hospitality experience or aptitude
Occasional evening and weekend work required.