Please send all inquiries to Anne.Gi[email protected]
From its conception, the Saint John Paul II National Shrine was intended as a response to Saint John Paul II’s call for a “new evangelization,” echoed today by Pope Francis. It strives to be a place of genuine encounter with the living God — a place where God, who “entered history,” heals and renews every dimension of human life and cultures.
The Mission and Ministry Team is seeking a candidate to sustain younger visitors’ educational experience by developing and implementing various programs, materials, and special events in alignment with the pastoral and evangelizing mission of the Shrine. The successful candidate will engage schools and universities in faith formation initiatives, in-person and online, drawing upon the rich resources of the Shrine, in particular the permanent exhibit and sacred art.
The schedule for this position requires regular weekend hours with occasional evenings and holidays in rotation with other department team members.
Education: Degree in Theology, Catechetics, Education, or other related field of study. Ph.D. preferred.
Experience: 7-10 years of relevant experience OR equivalent combination of training and experience, with publishing experience a plus.
1. Materials Development – Collaboratively research, draft, and edit materials for the Shrine on themes related to the theology and spirituality of Saint John Paul II, with a focus on children and young adults. Pastoral materials may include pamphlets, booklets, scripts, devotionals, exhibits, guides, curricula, videos, podcasts, and social media. Review other Shrine materials for the proper inclusion and emphasis of age-appropriate themes related to Saint John Paul II.
2. Event Planning – Collaboratively develop, plan, and execute spiritual and pastoral programming that fulfills the mandate of a national shrine and properly integrates the themes and theology of Saint John Paull II.
3. Public Presentations – Prepare and deliver talks and workshops on subjects pertinent to the pastoral and evangelical outreach of the Shrine, including presentations in small pastoral settings and in larger public gatherings.
4. Relationship Development – Develop and maintain a network of relationships with relevant church associations, educational institutions, faculty, lecturers, leaders, groups, and diocesan offices supportive of the legacy of Saint John Paul II and interested in promoting and participating in events at the Shrine.
5. Volunteer Coordination – Establishes and runs a volunteer docent program; manages docent training and resources.
6. Furthers the ministry of the Knights of Columbus by keeping focus on the mission of the organization and the teachings of the Catholic Church. Model behaviors that are consonant with the Catholic Church.
7. Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, skills, and abilities for this position include an ability to function at a high level within a religious setting and a dynamic multicultural environment.
* Extensive knowledge of the Catholic Faith and Church Teachings
* Knowledge of the life and legacy of John Paul II preferred
* Strong written, editorial, and verbal communication skills
* Ability to explain and relate theology to a multi-generational and intercultural general audience
* Proven experience in curriculum development, with publishing experienced preferred
* Experience directing, managing, and implementing research projects related to exhibits, evangelization, and education
* Knowledge of museum educational programs, including docent programs, strongly preferred
* Experience working with diverse groups of people and providing exceptional customer service in a highly professional environment
* Strong public speaking ability
* Ability to work independently
* Supervisory ability
* Strong time management and organizational skills; ability to handle deadlines
* Ability to combine creative overall planning with attention to detail
* Fluency in Spanish or other languages highly desired
* Systems/Technical Knowledge: e.g., Ingenium, Life70, IDM, Microsoft Word, Excel
* Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite.
* AV/IT experience a plus
* Proficiency with social media