Director of Fundraising and Donor Engagement
Full-time Position based in Medfield, MA (15 miles outside of Boston)
Hybrid work schedule is available after completion of initial training period.
Remote candidates with a passion for MSC’s mission and relevant experience may be considered.
Mustard Seed Communities (MSC) is an international nonprofit organization dedicated to caring for the most vulnerable populations throughout Jamaica, Nicaragua, Dominican Republic, Zimbabwe and Malawi. Founded in 1978, MSC provides loving and lifelong care to over 600 children and adults with disabilities, children affected by HIV, and young mothers in crisis. In addition, MSC manages sustainable agriculture initiatives and provides education, nutrition, and vocational training to marginalized communities. MSC is a faith-based organization, inspired by the healing and caring ministry of Jesus Christ.
MSC has an annual budget of over $5M and is growing steadily with a committed base of donors throughout the United States. Over 1,400 volunteers participate in MSC’s mission program each year. The mission program provides volunteers with the unique opportunity to live and work among MSC residents and staff. As a result of experiencing the work of MSC firsthand, mission volunteers often become MSC’s biggest supporters and advocates. Mission volunteers play a critical role in the development and fundraising of MSC USA.
Visit www.mustardseed.com for more information.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Fundraising and Donor Engagement manages a portfolio and makes direct solicitations for significant contributions and creates/executes a development strategy designed to increase individual fundraising and engagement in order to support Mustard Seed Communities’ growth.
- Serve as a member of the organization’s senior management team to help guide the overall direction and implementation of the organization’s strategic goals
- Work with the Executive Director to develop and execute comprehensive fundraising strategies and plans to include corporate, foundation, organizational, and individual giving
- Build and lead a strong, collaborative team
- Manage the cultivation, solicitation, and stewarding process for a portfolio of major gift donors and support the Executive Director in their individual donor work
- Initiate, develop, and advance proposals to prospective donors
- Research potential grant opportunities and develop an efficient, effective process for managing the grant application and reporting lifecycle
- Compile and/or develop materials to create grant proposals
- Develop and manage budgets for the department, campaigns, events, and other initiatives
- Represent MSC in meetings, organizational functions, and community events
- Partner with the Director of Communications and Digital Engagement to develop and assess multichannel fundraising campaigns and appeals
- Coordinate fundraising events including recruiting sponsors, participants, and volunteers
- Establish and meet fundraising or participation goals for all fundraising programs
- Create, analyze, and respond to performance reports and other MSC fundraising and engagement data
- Manage 2 or more direct reports
- Selected candidate will be on the road approximately 25% of the time. Travel is within the United States and internationally.
- Dedication to MSC’s mission
- A minimum of 8 years of demonstrated experience in fundraising, peer-to-peer fundraising, partnership development, external relations, and major donor stewardship, including strong writing and event planning experience
- A minimum of 3 years of experience as an effective manager with proven ability to form and lead a team of direct reports
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills and detail-oriented, demonstrated by the ability to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced environment
- Proven experience in designing and successfully managing a comprehensive fundraising strategy
- Experience developing and maintaining productive working relationships with board members, donors, staff, and prospects
- Capacity to work effectively as a leader and as part of a team
- Self-directed, able to work independently and function effectively in a fast-paced environment
- Experience and expertise utilizing technology for fundraising and communication
- Ability to work and connect with diverse communities, people and partners, and a commitment to promoting inclusion in all practices and efforts
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including some nights and weekends
- Strongly prefer experience with Blackbaud’s Raiser’s Edge NXT, Luminate Online, and TeamRaiser
All interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to [email protected]
Proof of Covid-19 vaccination is required. A background check will be conducted prior to final offer.