Dean, School of Arts and Sciences
The University of St. Thomas invites applications and nominations for the position of Dean of the School of Arts and Sciences. In order to guide the School toward a bold vision of excellence, the University seeks candidates who are inspirational, creative, and accomplished leaders in the field of arts and sciences, with a strong commitment to the religious, ethical and intellectual traditions of a liberal arts education.
The University of St. Thomas (UST) is a comprehensive Catholic university located in the heart of Houston’s Museum District and Innovation Corridor, and just steps from downtown Houston, Texas. The University’s core curriculum is grounded in the liberal arts that offers over 35 undergraduate majors and 20 graduate programs. UST serves over 3,000 students and offers an attractive campus environment within a diverse and vibrant urban environment that encourages learning, discovery, and personal growth. For more information about the University, please visit: https://www.stthom.edu/About/About-UST.aqf.
The School of Arts and Sciences
The School of Arts and Sciences is home to programs in humanities, performing and fine arts, mathematics, social sciences, engineering, and the natural sciences. The School offers 11 pre-professional programs, 28 undergraduate and 6 graduate degree programs. Subject areas include STEM (Biology, Chemistry, and Math); Humanities (Philosophy, Literature); and Social Sciences (Psychology, Political science).
Rooted in the Catholic tradition of liberal arts, the School is committed not only to respecting the distinctive contributions of each academic discipline but also seeking a higher synthesis of knowledge grounded in the mutually enriching dialog between faith and culture. The academic vision for the School of Arts and Sciences originates from UST’s core undergraduate curriculum that helps students enhance skills employers demand including communication, collaboration, and strategic thinking.
The Dean reports to the Vice President for Academic Affairs and serves as the intellectual and administrative leader of the School. The Dean will be a committed leader who will focus on developing new academic programs, faculty development, and oversight of curriculum and course quality while serving students with enthusiasm. The Dean will facilitate the work of department chairs, faculty, and staff to ensure the School's goals and objectives are met including those related to enrollment and student retention.
The Dean will lead the School in the development and implementation of plans and resource distribution for faculty engagement in scholarship. The Dean will also ensure operational effectiveness by creating, implementing, and evaluating processes and procedures essential to function as an efficient academic enterprise.
Required Experience and Other Attributes
The most qualified candidates will possess:
· A terminal degree in a field represented in Arts and Sciences with a solid reputation for excellence and scholarly achievement.
· Minimum of seven years of experience in the classroom as an instructor plus 5 years previous senior-level administrative experience.
· The ability to inspire, collaborate and negotiate with diverse and sometimes competing constituencies. The individual must be a person who can lead and inspire the faculty to new levels of engagement to champion creativity and innovation.
· A high degree of knowledge in accreditation.
· A strong commitment to teaching, learning and academic excellence to promote student success.
· Demonstrated knowledge, skills, and abilities in academic administration including regulations, laws, and other general related policies.
· Demonstrated record of fiscal responsibility and accountability with a high degree of financial acumen.
· Strong collegial leadership qualities demonstrated as ability to recruit and build a strong faculty.
· Recognition as having academic vision with attention to the future of higher education and emerging trends.
· A consensus-building approach and open disposition to diverse views and opinions.
· Highly effective communication skills both verbally and in writing with proficiency in using a personal computer and generally utilized software.
· Must be an active member in good standing in the Roman Catholic Church and demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of Ex Corde Ecclesiae.
The Search Committee will begin reviewing applications immediately and continue to accept applications and nominations until the position is filled. Applicants must submit a comprehensive cover letter, complete CV, five (5) professional references, and a statement explaining the candidate’s understanding of Ex Corde Ecclesiae as it relates to the position. Nomination letters should include the name, position, email address and telephone number of the nominee. All applications and nominations will be handled in confidence. Applications and letters of nomination should be submitted by email to:
Alberto Pimentel, Managing Partner
Email: [email protected]
Refer to code “UST-DAS” in the subject line
Storbeck/Pimentel & Associates
6512 Painter Avenue
Whittier, CA 90601
The University of St. Thomas is an Equal Opportunity Employer